Tuesday, March 13, 2012

51 - the countdown begins

This is a bittersweet day for us. Friday, March 16th. The last official day of spring break. Sadly, again this year we had no trips planned but we still spent time together just me and my kids. One of these years, we're going to have extra money and we are going to take a trip somewhere.... even if it's just a few hours away.. it would be nice to not be here in the house. Although, I do enjoy a recharge. I always think this week is going to be a refresher for school. It's really not. It's hard to refresh something that wasn't actually fresh. This is my 18th year teaching and I really think every year that I may need to think about something else that I enjoy. I do enjoy teaching, but that's just it.... I enjoy teaching. I'm not really teaching anymore... I'm disciplining, I'm mommying these sweeties that have women at their home, but sadly enough, do not have a real mommy because the person that decided to have them doesn't have time for them, or doesn't want to be the selfless person that you have to be to actually mommy. I'm also analyzing test data... that's what I do.. instead of teaching... I collect data. Because "that's all we care about.. I don't care about the kids.. all I care about is the data" I still can't believe that I actually heard those words from my leader, but that's the reality. They don't really care if these kids grow up to be respectful, or grow up knowing from their 1st grade teacher that they're wonderful in their own right, or grow up knowing how to show compassion to others, or grow up knowing the difference between reading and loving to read, or grow up knowing how things work rather than how things compute. to anymore. And next week they'll want performance on something new... that was drAll they want is performance on a standard that was set by people that aren't even listened eamt up by someone in a suit that never put their child (if they even have kids) in a public school. This is why teachers need spring break.. and relish everything about it. Ok, I'm done for today. I am still sad that my week is dwindling. I have seen BeAuTifUl BeAuTiFuL weather this week. I have seen my kids all week, every day for every hour during the day. THIS WEEK.. I have seen my kids more than their teacher did.. and for that I'm soo thankful. So, I guess on one note, I'm glad to be a teacher...because I do get spring break. And on Monday I will go back and I will "teach the test" and I will hate it, but I will try to squeeze in some fun and I will try to squeeze some lessons on respect and compassion. I will definitely sneak in moments when I share with my young impressionable kids that reading is something that you experience.... not labor over. I hope something sinks in, but I cannot honestly say that I hope it's the first thing on this list! I will count every moment that I get to see my own kids at home even during the madness of homework, dinner, and bathtime. I refuse for their teacher to know them better than I do. I want to mommy!! I want to be everything to them. Afterall, I am raising 2 future mommies and a daddy. I will start my countdown on Monday.. 51 days until Summer break! Peace and love, go read a book and enjoy it..jen

No comments:

Post a Comment